Friday, December 09, 2005

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential..."

Time for a little bit of my life story, as it may help understand why I am who I am.

In high school, I was a music geek. While that does include being a band geek for me, it went much further than that. Anything musical my church did, I was involved. Youth choir, adult choir, adult ensemble, duet partner, soloist, yada-yada-yada. So it followed that at the end of my senior year in high school, I had to go somewhere and do something - street musicians aren't a common lot in Milledgeville. Therefore, it was off to ye olde local college, Georgia College, where I was, of course, a music major.

During my second year there, one of those life altering events occurred. The kind that you look back on ten years later and can still remember - I met my Best Friend. Now, at the time, she didn't know that she was my Best Friend, as is evidenced by her rejecting my first offer for a date, but I didn't really know then, either. Throughout the next year, there was whooing, cooing, baby talk (hanging my head in shame), and all other such things that happen in the first year of dating.

The following year, my father was diagnosed with colon cancer; three months later, he died. I'll spare the detailed agony that followed, but it was through this event that started me on my path to where I am today. My Best Friend worked for a lady who knew a guy that needed help at his electronics repair shop. Over the next few years, I found something else, besides music, that I was good at.

Two years later, I entered into a Contract with my Best Friend, and we left for greener pastures - or, anywhere but Milledgeville. I continued educating myself in the ways of things electrical, working different jobs here and there.

That was six and a half years ago. I'm still in school, and while I'm not sure when I'm going to graduate, I have it on good authority that Jesus will return sometime after my last final exam but before graduation day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay - you should have warned me about the mascara alert. May the adventure continue - and may Jesus hold on for just a wee bit longer so you can reep the rewards of a college degree.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home