Thursday, June 22, 2006

What I'm...

Watching:
  • My wife and I are hopelessly addicted to Lost. A few weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to see what all the hype was about, so I added the first disc to my Netflix list. We finally got around to watching it this past week, and I must say that through just the first 4 episodes, this is some of the best storytelling I've ever sat through; I can also see why nearly every person I know of that likes this show has turned in to a conspiracy theorist, mumbling about number sequences and black helicopters.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season 6. Best. TV show. Ever.
  • Catching up on some occasional older shows - NCIS; House; The Unit.
  • Watching the Braves just absolutely implode.
Reading:
  • The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw - a great compilation of stories from the WWII generation. It covers everything from the tales of the guys on the front lines to the home front, but more importantly it talks about their character. Sometimes it's kinda sad reading this knowing that this generation will never fully appreciate the lessons that can be learned from that quickly fading generation.
  • Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters - if you're not familiar with Dick Winters, go read and watch Band of Brothers. His WWII company saw some of the most brutal fighting, and his leadership and battlefield tactics are the reason that he brought his men through it all.
Playing:
  • Resident Evil 4 - easily one of the best games I've ever played. Zombies, guns, and saving the girl - just nevermind the cheesy dialog.
  • Mario Golf - The antithesis of R.E.4. A calming day on the greens of the Toadstool Tour is just what a guy needs.
  • Advance Wars: Dual Strike - the game that got me to take the plunge for a Nintendo DS. Turn based strategy goodness at it's finest.
  • Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town - Here's what a typical day consists of in this RPG/Life-game: waking up, lifting and setting down your puppy; tending to your cows and sheep, including milking and sheering and then shipping those items for money; brushing your horse; tending to your chickens and scooping up the eggs they laid overnight; harvesting, watering and planting crops if it's Spring, Summer, or Winter; spending time in the mines looking for precious jewels; fishing; and, somewhere in between, attempting to woo one of the local girls. Yeah, I know, doesn't really sound like much of a game. But I play it, nevertheless.
Listening to:
  • Flyleaf - think Martika or Avril Lavigne crossed with Creed. A hard rocking band with a chick lead singer who's a Christian, though they do not label themselves as a Christian band - their lyrics do.
  • Kutless - probably my Christian hard rock band du jour right now. While I was a little disappointed with Strong Tower, it's still a good CD.
  • Air1 - this is my favorite internet radio station. Playing alternative Christian music with heavy doses of Jeremy Camp, Third Day, Kutless, Pillar, etc. Keeps me going through most of the work day.
Doing:
  • Smoking, just not the harmfully addicting kind. I'm talking taking normally rough and tough pieces of mammal flesh and barbecuing them low and slow with a heaping helping of hickory or mesquite smoke to the point where they are tender, moist, sweet, and maybe just a little bit spicy - my first rub left my wife without the use of her taste buds for the day, though I think I got a nod of approval from her dragon-mouthed brother.

2 Comments:

Blogger misawa said...

It may be overkill, but there's another Winters book out there that covers his war memoirs as well. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but will eventually.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Nephos said...

The "war memoirs" book is called
"Beyond Band of Brothers" and is really good. It covers basically the same time as the mini-series, but gives more detail, particularly from Winters' perspective. Definitely worth the read.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home