Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Mutated sea bass (ill-tempered, at that)

Tis the end of the semester, which means it's time for the bookstore to pay me back for the books I've used all semester long and paid over $100 for. I then take the pennies they return and do a small school supply shopping spree - on this day I needed a new pencil.

Not just any pencil - a Pentel Icy .7mm mechanical pencil. For what I do and in my hand it's the perfect pencil. Only one problem - they had none.

Target doesn't have them; Wal-Mart doesn't have them; Kroger doesn't have them.

The only place that has them, to this point, has been my university bookstore.

You know, I have one simple request. It's not like I'm asking for sharks with fricking laser beams on their heads - just a pencil. All other times of the semester, I come in, do the dance, pay for my over-priced but almost obsolete school books, and the occasional Cherry Coke (which is another rant entirely - they charge $1.26, one penny more than the entire rest of the campus vending machines that somehow, mysteriously stay broken, out out of order, or deliver hot sodas).

So I ask a young lady nearby if this is all of their pencils, and describe to her the exact ones I'm talking about.

She looks at me blankly, and offers me mutated sea bass. Now I'm ill-tempered.

(Ed. note: if you're not familiar with Austin Powers movies, this post will not make as much comedic sense as it should)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should quit while you're ahead.

5:17 PM  
Blogger misawa said...

True, tis a difficult way to get a-head in this world. :D

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll never be the head of a major corporation. Great post.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home