Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Now batting... Lil' MD

“You’ve created a monster – you know that, right?” (El Opinionated Woodbutcher, aka my brother-in-law)

Many years ago, my darling little wifey-pooh was the quintessential Southern Belle - always prim and proper, never a cross word, and definitely not a confrontational person in the least. Three years of chasing dating, a year of enslavement engagement, and nearly ten years of yardwork marriage have changed a girl. She’ll throw down with Hulk Hogan or Doc Holiday if they get cross with her. Or another person telling her something ‘bout her child.

Time to unleash the beast.

That’s right, ladies and gentlemen. Making her blogging debut, the Sultan of Spit-up, the Duchess of Diapers, the Princess of Poo... the one and only – as far as she knows – Mrs. Misawa herself, Lil’ MD...
Being a new mommy has changed my world inside and out for the best and I am still in awe that God has blessed us with this journey. Every day is a new adventure and I love experiencing life again through the eyes of my child.

That said, I have a particular problem with people - whether they are a part of the parenthood or not - that know a better way to raise your child and decide that you need to know it.

Since our little 8-month old “Pork Chop” - as Misawa has nicknamed him. I prefer “Baby Bear”, or “Love Bug” but I can understand why he would need a masculine nickname from Daddy - was born back in April I have noticed that not only do people like to give you advice while you’re pregnant but boy does Pandora’s box open when the child actually arrives. Here are some of the comments I’ve received:
  • You know what they say about babies that skip crawling don’t you? They become developmentally delayed.
As my hubby would say – bullbutter. This scenario came about because Pork Chop has recently shown an interest in walking but not in crawling. There are plenty of children that have developed just fine by skipping the crawling phase. Most pediatricians don’t even consider it a developmental milestone anymore. In fact, most studies conclude that kids crawl later nowadays due to the Back-to-sleep campaign – more time spent on the back equals... well figure it out for yourself. If my boy is not interested in crawling and just wants to chase the cat by rolling after him, so be it. I think it shows creative problem-solving skills.
  • I should write you a manual on how to raise a child.
This statement has come to me several times from a dear friend of mine. I love her but I think its time to say enough is enough. Just because you have more children doesn’t mean I don’t know what I’m doing. I may have never been a mommy before Pork Chop, but I am now and know my baby more than anyone else. Here’s the ironic part... that same friend told me later she wished her two children were as laid back as mine. How ‘bout them apples?
  • I don’t see how putting your infant in front of the TV before going to bed will make any difference on how he sleeps. It wasn’t a problem for my children.
When Pork Chop was around 3 months old, Misawa and I didn’t want him watching TV after 5pm because it stimulated him and kept him from sleeping at night. We had someone tell us that idea was crazy and that TV was never an issue for her children. My answer is – GREAT – I’m glad it didn’t bother your children but it does mine. Now that same person is amazed that we can put Pork Chop to bed at 7pm and he’ll sleep until 7am (most of the time).
In summary, I just wanted to share my thoughts on people sharing their opinions that ought not to. Just because I raise my child differently doesn’t mean its wrong. Every baby is different. Even if you do know more be sensitive and understand that your way may not be the only way. Also, if you refer to "they" when giving advice but don’t remember all the facts, don’t mention it at all unless you can back it up. New moms [and dads] have enough worries to deal with.

Misawa and I have another name for parenthood: crisis management. Parenting isn’t easy but I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Thanks for listening. Have a blessed and Happy New Year!
Lil’ MD

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Pork Chop finds the thought of crawling boring.....It's such a big world for the little guy maybe he wants to get there the only way he knows how. So what - he doesn't crawl he will still get where he wants to go.
Maybe by not letting him beceome addicted to the TV not only does he sleep better at night - maybe he will realize that there are more things to life than TV such as a good book or laughing at the cat
Maybe, just maybe, you know your child better than anyone and love him more than anyone so that makes you the expert even if you never write a book on it.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see parents stick to their guns and raise their children the way they see fit. Listen to all the advice, but only follow the advice that works for you. I have been a parent long enough to know that some things work for you and your kids, even if everyone else thinks you are crazy. I have also learned that, at times, we are crazy about some of the things we think. And what works for one of your children may not work so well for another one of your children. God bless them all.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jill and Dad of 5 for your input. It did feel great to get those thoughts off my chest. Misawa shivers every time I say this but if it were up to me we'd have 10 kids. There truly is nothing like being a parent and every day has its own amazing adventure. I'm going to continue raising my son as I know best and pray the Lord will give me guidance if I get off track. We have so much to be thankful for. Many blessing to you and your family.

3:07 PM  
Blogger j razz said...

Let me give you a little advice when it comes to raising kids...

Naw, seriously- great post. We (my wife and I) have been given a lot of advice even while she is pregnant. The oddest one is from a man that neither of us knew that was waiting for a table at a restaurant. He just came up and started talking to us and then proceeded to give us parenting advice. At those moments I would like to unbutton my dress shirt to reveal the message printed on my undershirt: "Did I ask for your advice?"

We are going to raise our child the way we see fit. We have already studied the book and video series by Tedd Tripp on Shepherding a Child's Heart and that is the way we want to go. No, no matter how many times someone tells me that I am going to buy my kids the newest greatest shoes out there only to be discarded within a month due to them being 5 months old is wrong! I don't know why people think that you are subject to the environment in which they choose to live. Well, I'm not and I choose to raise my child the way I (and my wife) see fit.

Well look at that, I just vented. Hmm. I could have kept going for several more paragraphs. Thanks for the post.

2:27 PM  
Blogger glenna marshall said...

Loved this!!! How 'bout she gets a blog of her own and writes regularly??????

5:54 PM  
Blogger misawa said...

Our house only has one position for a slack blogger, and it's currently (over) filled.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home