Monday, January 09, 2006

School daze

The reason for the lack of posts recently is school started back for me last Thursday, and truth be told, I couldn't be happier. Gone are the days of my mom coming in to my room on the first day of school singing in her alto voice "School days, school days, book and golden rule days." I actually had a little pep to my step last Thursday, mostly because I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with this. Last year, I did a whopping 3 courses toward my major (electrical engineering) and minor (Spanish). This year, I should eclipse that alone in my first semester - 3 classes toward the major, 1 toward the minor.

However, I got a staunch reminder of why it sucks to be a student - books. Going in to this semester, I didn't think I would be needing any other books for this semester; everything was a part 2 or 3 of another course. But, noooooooooo... the publishers deemed it necessary to start using new books in 3 of my 4 classes. I don't know about you, but I do so enjoy throwing down $120(!) for a used(!!) differential equations book while also knowing I wouldn't be able to sell back my old calculus book (that, when it was written covered through diffy Q 2). Thanks, may I have another?

That being said, I did at least get all the teachers I wanted, thanks in part to a wonderful website that rates college professors. And no Tim, there isn't an entry for you, yet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Last semester I had stopped by Union for a few hours, and moseyed into the Lifeway bookstore. When I picked up a small Algebra book I was astonished to see that it was $90, and that was on the cheap side. I can't believe how colleges let publishers get away with those prices, since it does eat into a school's scholarship budget. Doesn't it?

4:46 PM  
Blogger misawa said...

I haven't been able to figure out why books are so expensive now compared to when I went to Georgia College in the mid 90s. I recall spending, at most, maybe $250 one semester; I was in 3 music classes, psych 101, and precal. I have eclipsed that numerous times at SPSU and I've yet to take more than 4 classes in a semster. I can't figure it out...

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home