Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Missed date night

I realized this morning that I missed one of the few annual date nights my wife and I have - the Homerun Derby. I'm not sure where and when my wife's fascination with this precursor to the All Star Game began (I do know who - El Sr. Javy Lopez), but I just know that she usually gets all excited about it, which is the reason I got excited about it. I mean seriously, this is the girl that falls asleep at baseball games.

Anyway, over the past few years, I've found that I have a "care less" attitude towards this once anticipated event. I'm not sure why, but there are several possible reasons. For starters, the steroid revelations of the past few years; but I think it's more the fact that the homerun is now fairly common in baseball. I'll grant that that may be the case due to the juice, but the simple fact is there are more guys pounding out 30 homers a year now than there have been in years; it used to be considered a good season if you did that, a great one if you hit 40, and an unbelievable year if you reached 50.

Maybe it's because the memories of Big Mac, Barry au Juice Bonds, and Sammy Corkie Sosa crushing the 60 and 70 homerun barriers. Maybe it's because of guys like Adam Dunn that hit a .250 average or less while smacking 40 plus homers. Maybe it's the team GMs that seem to prefer a bopper over a Tony Gwynn type hitter.

I don't know what it really is. I just know that now I don't look forward to the Derby as much as I used to, and neither does my wife. I won't even start on my feelings of the All Star game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home