Monday, December 18, 2006

Much ado

Mercifully the school semester came to a close last Wednesday - at 10 pm, I headed home and got the first good night's rest I've had in three weeks. 3 down, 10 to go - potentiality is there for me to be walking the graduation walk this time next year.

As I began this year griping about idiot instructors and students, I'll end it with some serious kudos for my digital professor. At the beginning of this year, had anyone told me that I would be capable of programming a microcontroller on my own with only a fellow student to plunder through with me, I would have laughed. While I would described myself as somewhat computer savvy, I do not (and still won't) consider myself a programmer. The fact that our digital final project - an elevator microcontroller - would trap people, not take them to the desired floor, and sometimes just begin opening and closing it's doors as if possessed should easily elliminate me from the pool of other code obsessed geeks. (No offense)

That said, I have secured for myself a small place in the land of Geek. I have crossed over, leaving behind the old ways of DOS, unexplainable crashes, and constant reboots. In short, I'm Linux-groovin', baby!

Currently, I have successfully installed Ubuntu Linux ver. 6.10 on both my laptop and work desktop, and each day I'm getting one step closer to not needing anything put out by Bill Gates. While this is a great feeling, it has been anything but a breeze. I orginally installed Linux as a second OS so that I could still boot into Winblows Xp when I needed my fix. Even at this point, I haven't completely cut the umbilical and probably won't for quite some time, but it's still a good feeling to know that if necessary, I don't ever have to drop $300 for a new OS ever again.

I have some random brain droppings that I've scribbled up over the past few weeks that I'll probably edit during the next few days and put up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home