Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A little more weight

In a previous post, I let on that I'm not too keen on the whole "War on Drugs" thing. Specifically because it's a losing war. It has been, and it will continue to be. There won't be a victor, ever.

When you're losing a war this bad, you retreat.

But then drugs will be everywhere! Everybody will be on them!

No they won't - most people that aren't on them now probably won't start using just because it's legal (I know I won't). For that matter, do you think there are people now that want to do them, but won't because it's illegal?

So what to do? End the prohibition.

Normally this ellicits the usual: "You just want to do drugs!", "Then there will be crime everywhere!", etc. My response generally doesn't do any good either: "No," on one and "it already is," on two.

Alas, my opinion still doesn't count for much. Neither do organizations like NORML who want to legalize pot. LEAP on the other hand, may just get the ball rolling. They're a group of law enforcement, both current and past, that say enough is enough. Rodney "The Agitator" Balko writes for FoxNews.com:
It's understandable why when many people first see Howard Wooldridge, they might at first think he's a crank.

The slender, mustachioed man of middle-age frequently wears a cowboy hat, and has been known to get around town on a horse. He also wears a black shirt with loud, conspicuous lettering on both the front and back. You'd be forgiven to dismiss him as a religious zealot proclaiming the coming apocalypse, or a disciple of Lyndon Larouche.

But look closer. The shirt reads: "COPS SAY LEGALIZE DRUGS: ASK ME WHY."

And people do.

"I get stopped just about everywhere," he says. "The shirt works. I have several different for different occasions – I can get my point across in 30 seconds in an elevator, a few minutes in a restaurant, or full-blown speech at a Rotary Club."

If he doesn't leave people convinced, he at least leaves them asking the right questions.

So does Norm Stamper, former police chief for the city of Seattle.

"People ask how a former cop could say drugs should be legalized, but it's precisely because I love police and love police work that I'm saying it. The drug war stops real cops from doing real police work. It's corrupting. It's wasteful. And it has wrecked communities."

I encourage you to read the article and start asking yourself the hard, maybe outlandish questions about legalizing drugs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home