Monday, January 21, 2008

Top 10 Manliest Firearms

Michael Williamson wrote about the top "manliest" firearms (in his not-so-humble opinion) a few months ago. I won't cut-n-paste the whole article, but there are some real gems in here.

#9. Mosin-Nagant M44 - This Russian beast is notorious in the gun community for being one of the cheapest military grade rifles around - one can be had for as low as $60. Myself not being a fan of manual safeties, I found this to be rather funny: "Speaking of guns without safeties, here's the Mosin-Nagant M44 Carbine from Russia. The Mosin was used by the Russians against the Finns, the Finns against the Russians, the Estonians against the Russians, the Russians against the Russians, and the Russians against the Germans. It does, in fact, have a safety, but it's quite hard to engage. But this is not a complaint one would ever voice in the Red Army. Your officer would reply, "Safety? Safety? Is gun! Meant to kill! No warrior should know he has safety on gun, because he should be killing enemies of homeland! Safety make loud click to aid enemy in locating warriors! No safety!" while pounding his fist on the table." Gotta agree with Vladimir on this one.

#8. Glock - Ugh! I don't care for Glocks. Just not for me. That said, I'm aware of and do respect their reputation for being darned reliable and quite possibly the ugliest thing since Hillary George Clinton.

#7 Swiss K31 - I know nothing of this gun, but I love this story Williamson relates: There is a story, possibly apocryphal but awesome nonetheless, that a ranking German (possibly the Kaiser) was visiting and watching the Swiss military on their summer maneuvers. He asked the Swiss commander, "How big a force do you command?"

The Swiss general confidently replied, "I can mobilize one million men in twenty-four hours."

The German asked, "What would happen if I marched five million men in here tomorrow?"

The Swiss replied, "Each of my men will fire five shots and go home."

#5 Smith & Wesson Model 29 - Also known as the gun Dirty Harry carried, I and my wife can personally attest to how manly this weapon is - I cap off as many rounds of .44 Magnum ammo as I can whenever I get around this gun; she shot it once and handed it back to me. Guaranteed to give you a buzz in your hand. Or your fillings. Or your neighbor's fillings.


#2 Colt 1911A1 - You'd be hard pressed to find another handgun anywhere that has it's reputation. Owners of Tupperware guns (self included) can argue all they want, but it says something about a firearm when it's almost 100 years old and the military is trying to go back to it.

2 Comments:

Blogger j razz said...

My stepfather owns a Colt Gold Cup and that is his pride and joy (to the point of obsession). He always has people wanting to buy it off of him, but he has yet to recieve an offer that he even hesitates on.

I agree with you on the glock assessment.

j razz

1:52 PM  
Blogger misawa said...

Most people I know of with a Colt Gold Cup treat it better than their own children. To an extent, I have a hard time blaming them.

Gonna have to pick up a Mosin, though. Refinished, they're running $70. Perfect for when the zombies attack. From a mile away.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home