Thursday, December 15, 2005

Guns I need

In light of my previous post about a home intruder charging an elderly man, I decided it was time to post about one of my hobbies: guns. Any gun-nut knows that having just one or two is never enough - in the event of an emergency, I want to make sure I have a selection available to properly stop the threat as well as match whatever I am currently wearing.

I'll start with what I already have - a Walther P99 QA in 9mm. Yep, the new Bond gun. I tried a Glock, and while that wasn't a bad experience, I found the Walther to fit my hand better. I recommend the QA for less experienced shooters or for those going for a concealed carry weapon - it's a consistent trigger pull every single time, and it really smooths out around the 500 round mark. While accessories and holsters aren't as common as for Glock, they are still available. So far, mine has taken any ammo I've fed it. I found mine at a gun show for $500.

However, a semi-automatic can be a bit much for a novice or inexperienced shooters; plus, no matter how good the gun, there is always the possibility of failure with so many moving parts. Thus, a good revolver recommendation is the Ruger GP100 in .357 mag/ .38 spl. Solid construction and a decent price make this one an easy recommendation, though it may be a little large for some people. I definitely do not recommend firing this one handed, especially if loaded with .357 magnum rounds.

Bersa Thunder .380 - don't sell this little jewel short. You won't be engaging targets at 25 feet very often, more like 10 to 15 (think of the distance from your nightstand to your bedroom door). Some might wonder why this instead of the original Bond gun that it looks like. 1) The double-action trigger pull is significantly better on the Bersa than the Walther. 2) The price - $500 for the Walther vs. $200.

Mossberg 500 20 ga. - for home defense, you can't get any better than a shotgun. While the 12 ga. is a far more effective manstopper, the 20 ga. will do just fine.

Springfield Socom 16 - I have no idea why I need this one. I guess in the event I have to go all Splinter Cell on somebody in my house (look out kitty). 20 rounds of semi-automatic .308 Winchester power in a rifle design that's been around for over 50 years (it's built around the M1).

That's all for now, though I assure you that there are a lot more that I would love to have. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Alex, I'll take the over/under 12 gauge for $1500.

Ah heck, just give me two of 'em. One for me and the other for my oldest son.

The youngest wants a H&K mp5 with a laser sight.

9:21 AM  
Blogger misawa said...

I must admit, I've thought about the MP5 and it's new iteration, the MP5/10 (it fires the 10mm cartridge instead of the 9mm). It would definitely make the list if a full auto was permitted, but as a semi-auto, it lacks the stopping power of the Socom.

The last gun show I went to had an awesome selection of airsoft pellet guns: MP5s, AR-15s, Glocks, Walthers, etc. Several of them were fully customized with a laser sight.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Don't get me started on the airsoft guns. You know fully well my little man wants one.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home