Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Guns 101, part I

Spurred on by Mark, I've decided to do a series of posts on something I'm passionate and semi-knowledgeable about - guns. No, this isn't going to be more guns that I can't live without. Instead, it's kind of a "how to" for newbies or amateurs with little to no experience with guns of any sort. Initially, I'll deal with the primary question that gets thrown out by most people - "why should I?" Before I really get in to that question, though, I’d like to address the “guns are evil” slogan thrown about by various anti-gun groups.

Making the “evil gun” claim does two things: first, it strips away the responsibility of the action from the individual (“he only did it because of the gun; he’s not really like that”); and second, it gives the (false) impression that evil did not already exist in the person with the gun. No real need to address the first one – to my knowledge courts haven’t started trying and convicting a gun for a crime – except that this idea of the “evil gun” has opened up “evil manufacturers” to frivolous lawsuits. The second one, though, could use some thinking through…

In the movie Hollow Man, a scientist figures out how to become the Invisible Man. Once he does, he realizes he can get away with whatever he wants and becomes quite the pervert. When found out, he begins to murder to keep his secret. Did the scientist really go bad because of the invisibility? No; evil already pre-existed in him, he just held it in check because he knew he couldn’t get away with what he wanted to do. It’s the thought that counts.

Same thing with a gun. A professor once told me that “power tripping” is what occurs when authority is given to someone who doesn’t know how to handle it, and let’s face it – a person with a gun in their hands pointed at you has authority over you, whether they’re evil or you are. This doesn’t mean that a gun shouldn’t be feared – it most definitely should, just not the normal definition of “fear.” Think more of a deep reverent respect, almost similar to “fear the Lord” without the extra gravitas.

I hope that sufficiently covers and dispels the evil gun myth. It’s probably more than you wanted to read in a given sitting about the topic. In part II, I’ll let you know why you should at the very least, become informed and somewhat experienced with guns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home