Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Flags of Our Fathers trailer

James Bradley's "Flags of Our Fathers" is one of the top WWII history books that I've ever read, along with Hampton Sides' "Ghost Soldiers" (turned in to the movie "The Great Raid") and Stephen Ambrose's "Band of Brothers." It really was no surprise to me to hear that it was being turned in to a movie, but I had a bit of a reservation when I found out that the director was going to be Clint Eastwood.

Love him as an actor, not so much as a director. Mystic River was one of the most disappointing films I saw in a theater, and much of his previous directorial work, except for Unforgiven, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Heartbreak Ridge, left me with a rather blah feeling.

It'll be pretty hard to mess this one up, though. Bradley's book on the taking of the little volcanic island of Iwo Jima by the Marines is well done; even if they embelish (as Hollywood so often likes to, even when it's not needed - see The Great Raid) it shouldn't diminish from the tale of woe, hardship, struggle, and ultimately victory that these brave men lived through. The first trailer of this movie is up, and it looks good so far.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Cool! I didn't even know they were making a movie on the book. I wish it was turned into a miniseries like Band of Brothers, though, one for the Pacific theater.

3:15 PM  
Blogger misawa said...

Gotta agree with you there, Jeff. It would be nice to see Iwo Jima get the mini-series treatment like BoB. I think the cooler thing with this is that Eastwood is also directing a movie called "Red Sun, Black Sand" that tells the Japanese side of the story - something that Bradley has done in each of his books admirably.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home