Thursday, September 07, 2006

Grand Master of Grades

I do not wish to turn my blog in to a constant gripe session about all things college. I know most of you have already done the college thing and know that many of this is already true and don't need any further reminder. So hopefully this will be my last school rant for a while.

Today's topic - teachers.

Like Baskin Robbins, teachers come in about 31 different flavors. Personally, I like hardasses - they put the bar up there and say, "this is where you gotta be" and then it's your responsibility to get there. However, they're not just going to draw that line and not give you some way to achieve it - they're not being hard just for the sake of being hard (though there are some of those out there, too). They encourage independent thought and usually answer a question with a question that makes you think a little more about how to do what needs doing. I generally do the most learning under these types of teachers, mostly b/c I know that once I leave the friendly confines of college (best 11 years of my life), this is the way the real world works - there is no partial credit for semi-functioning projects turned in. In the words of Tuck and Roll, "You fire!"

A wonderful side effect to this type of teacher is that it weeds out the slackers. I thoroughly enjoy hearing the moans and groans just outside the door after class - "Dude, this is going to be too much work for this semester... Yeah, man, I know. This is like Spring semester stuff... Nah, man, we can't take this in the spring - we got Spring break then..." That's right, hippies, you'll have to figure how to graduate without this major related course!

Without a doubt, the worst type of teacher is the one that starts out portraying themselves as a drill sargent and come off more like a hospice nurse. Nothing chaps my hide more than when I have busted my hump to get a project or paper done, depriving myself of sleep and my wife of sanity, to turn it in next to some pimply faced jackass giving his sob story of why he couldn't put down Halo 2 for a couple of hours to turn in a sad sack rendition of a paper on time and if he could just have one more day (without penalty, or course) then he would have something to turn in. And then I watch in unbelievable horror as the head donkey behind the desk, the Grand Master of Grades, says "Ok."

Apparently, I'm the only one that believes the syllabus handed out at the beginning of the semester (that very plainly states LATE WORK WILL BE PENALIZED OR NOT ACCEPTED AT ALL!!!) actually applies to me.

I will add this addendum. There may be one other teacher that is worse than the one covered above. That would be the one that just doesn't care at all. While I can sometimes make a case for other bad teachers, the ones that lack spirit are the sorriest losers of all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home