Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I shot Jack Bauer's gun

This past Sunday was my first ever shoot with the group at GeorgiaPacking.org, a group I've been involved with for some time. After church, I tucked my little wifey-poo in for a long afternoon nap and off to Bulls Eye Marksman I went.

The way this works is everybody that has guns to share sets their stuff up on the table at each lane. Then, you basically just wander back and forth until you find something that you want to try.

This being my first trip to an indoor range that allows shotguns, the first I tried was a Remington 870 with #00 buckshot - essentially, the most effective manstopper load ever devised. I will say this, though - the "point in the general direction and pull the trigger" advice that generally comes with shotguns is not advised. At about 20 feet, the spread was only four inches around. Point is - aiming is still quite necessary.

After this and running a few mags through my own Walther, I looked down at the bench I was at and noticed a nice, big Colt King Cobra .357 Mag. Solid gun, built like a tank; shooting medium powered factory loads was pleasant, relatively speaking.

I moved a lane over and tried another friend's Sig GSR, another one that was built to withstand a nuclear blast. Capping off round after round of big ol' .45 ACP was downright enjoyable, though ironically I had less accuracy with this than I expected. Almost alarming considering I grew up shooting a 1911 style pistol instead of a brick Glock.

And then, the Precious called to me. Seven lanes away, amongst all other manner of hot rain flinging itself downrange, I heard it beckon me. A light from heaven opened into the range and shown upon lane 6. I stepped my way down cautiously, through the firings of Sigs, Beretta's, even another Walther, until I reached the source.

Jack Bauer's gun - an H&K USP Compact. The target knew no mercy. The mag practically loaded itself. The first mag I put through it, all single-action, all target sighting; every round touched a kill zone. I'm not that good of a shooter; it's that good of a gun. Natural pointer, good sight picture, a recoil spring that must have been fabricated by God - I really didn't feel a thing.

The second mag, I decocked for the first round, wanting to feel the double-action trigger pull. Apparently, H&K forgot to put it in - aside from the extra travel length, it felt exactly the same as the single-action. I finished the mag, having jerked one round out of the kill zone. I think I heard the gun growl at me for doing so. I put Jack's boom-stick down, and backed away.

Honey, I've added a new gun to the list.

Other guns tried:
  • Walther P22 - the baby brother to my P99. Apparently picky on ammo, but a joy (and cheap) to shoot. Very accurate for only having a 3.5" barrel.
  • CZ83 - an old Bond gun clone. Not bad, but I think at this point I prefer the Bersa if I'm shooting .380.
  • Glock 31 - this was my first time shooting anything chambered in .357 Sig, and it was really a pleasant experience - even if it was a Glock.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Honey, I've added a new gun to the list."? As if I haven't heard that before. :) At least you chose a hobby we both enjoy. Maybe sometime after graduation we can afford all these toys when you bring home the big bucks. Love ya!

12:19 PM  
Blogger misawa said...

So, does this mean that you acquiesce to my request? ;)

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh - did you read the part that said "...when YOU bring home the big bucks"? :) 99 days and counting. YIPEE!

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home